To know the joy of faith, we must first know our misery out of the Law of God
We see the law as
- Revealed by God the Father
- Summarized by God the Son
- Applied by God the Spirit
The law of God gives us some really bad news
- The function of the law
- The focus of the law
- The fulfillment of the law
I am a sinner
- God’s law discovers that in me
- That still pierces Christ
- I acknowledge that for myself.
Our misery revealed through the Law
- In what way?
- With what result?
The Spirit of God leads us to the knowledge of our misery, because
- He discovered God’s law in us
- He discovered us in God’s law.
How do I come to the true knowledge of misery?
- The answer comes from God’s Law
- The answer comes through God’s Spirit
By God’s law we are pointed from death to life
- The law’s demand
- The law’s verdict
- The law’s fulfillment
The thankfulness of the redeemed in the confession of their misery
Because they confess their misery, believing in
- God the Father and our creation.
- God the Son and our redemption
- God the Holy Spirit and our sanctification.
Through the law comes the knowledge of misery
- The light of the law shows us our misery
- The demand of the law describes the greatness of our misery
- The transgression of the law proves our misery.
Three questions for miserable people:
- The first question: Are you personally miserable?
- The second question: What is the demand of the law?
- The third question: What is your relationship to the law?